Contrary to popular belief, having a mental illness is not something you are condemned to live with your whole life. But it can leave you feeling hopeless and believing you won’t ever get better.
We believe you can heal.
WHAT IS MENTAL ILLNESS?
Mental illness is a general term for a change in the functioning and behavior of the brain. This results in an unbalanced mental state commonly experienced as distress and intense emotional suffering. They are often caused by past trauma, unhealthy coping strategies, or improper physical conditions.
Mental illnesses can affect anyone and commonly affect 1 in 5 adults worldwide.
COMMON MENTAL ILLNESSES INCLUDE:
- Anxiety disorders
- Major depressive disorder
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Bi-polar disorder
- Eating disorders
- and more
But it doesn’t have to be a life sentence. Unfortunately, social influences guide us and our children to believe otherwise.
HOW CAN ONE OVERCOME MENTAL ILLNESS?
You can heal through:
- Self-reflection and mindfulness
- CBT, EMDR or other individualized therapeutic modalities
- Group therapy or support groups
- Volunteering and helping others
- Medication in collaboration with a psychiatrist
Self-reflection and mindfulness involve bringing awareness to our thoughts, experiences, and triggers that bring on anxious, depressive thoughts or other mental health symptoms. One can better understand their mental illness and where it may stem from by asking questions.
Healthy questions to ask to better understand your mental illness:
- When did I first notice my decline in mental health?
- What triggers my anxiety, depressive thoughts, or mental health struggles?
- What is my ideal mental state?
- What is my least preferred mental state?
- Do I take care of myself physically?
- Do I believe my mental illness can be overcome?
Therapy can be a very effective method for managing and overcoming mental illness.
An experienced therapist will:
- Help you process traumatic experiences
- Guide you through managing your symptoms
- Teach healthy coping strategies
- Aid in finding mental stability or consistency
- Outline ways to improve physical care
Finally, your therapist can help identify whether medication, in conjunction with therapy, may be beneficial to include in your treatment.
Please know that receiving a mental health diagnosis is not a life sentence. There are strategies you can learn to better manage it and we certainly believe you can overcome it.
CONTACT CREATIVE COUNSELING CENTER
Are you or a loved one struggling? Do you feel you are not in the mental state you desire? We have a team of experienced therapists who can speak with you about potential treatment plan options. Just complete the brief form below to request a FREE Phone Consultation. One of our team members will reach out to learn more about your situation and discuss whether Creative Counseling Center is a good fit for your needs. We hope to hear from you soon.