Anxiety can be overwhelming. It casts a shadow on our lives. Even though we can read article after article about how to deal with anxiety, one of the best ways is to implement a few self-care strategies that better manage the day-to-day anxious thoughts and feelings.
Living in and experiencing the present is our best choice; being anxious about the unknown and projecting into the future prohibits us from enjoying the moment we’re in.
Here are 10 tips to manage anxiety and bring peace back into your life. Choose a few from the list below and do them for just 15-20 minutes each day to notice a difference in your anxiety levels.
1. Deep breathing. Taking long, deep, belly-focused breaths when you first wake up will set a calming tone for your day. Avoid shallow breathing from your chest, as that type of breathing has been known to actually cause anxiety.
2. Practice self-care. Carve out time for yourself, and do something you enjoy. Take a day trip. Get a massage. Read a book. Get out in nature. Do something that you enjoy.
3. Acceptance. Accept that anxiety is a part of you, but set the intention that you will not let it take over your life.
4. Curb financial spending. Dealing with money is a huge stressor in most people’s lives. Debt can keep you up at night and give you feelings of hopelessness. Look for little ways to cut your daily or monthly expenses—things like trading out cable for Netflix, lowering your heat/AC bills, cooking at home instead of eating out, drinking Starbucks twice a week instead of daily—these little things add up to a big monthly cost and will give you a better grasp on your budget, thereby relieving some anxiety.
5. Get rid of clutter. Studies show if you keep your workspace or house free of clutter, it ends up affecting how organized you feel about your life in general.
6. Go to bed early. Getting 7-8 hours of sleep is crucial to good health. Sleep deprivation leads to anxiety and depression, as it amplifies your brain’s anticipatory reactions.
7. Cut back on caffeine and sugar. Caffeine and sugar have been linked to anxiety as caffeine can elicit heart palpitations and trigger panic attacks. Sugar is a stimulant along with processed foods, and both can increase inflammation.
8. Exercise. Working out produces endorphins and is a natural way to boost your “feel good” emotions. It’s also a quick and immediate feeling of positivity post-workout!
9. Challenge beliefs. Challenge your negative thoughts and beliefs when anxiety pops up. Remember, feelings are not always right, rational, or reality so asking yourself, “Is this actually true?” can help you feel grounded again.
10. See a therapist. Seeking a professional for support will often provide you with better insight to get to the root cause of your anxieties.
No one is exempt from anxiety. It impacts children and adults at one point or another. If anxiety is impacting your or a loved one at home, in school or at work, it may be time to take action. Is anxiety preventing you from being present and available in the moment, or holding you back from experiencing life to the fullest, refer to these 10 tips to manage anxiety, or download our e-Book to learn more about self-care and why it’s so important for keeping anxiety at bay.
CONTACT CREATIVE COUNSELING CENTER
Maybe you’re not sure whether therapy is right for you. We can help you determine based on where you are in your journey. Complete the brief form below to Request a Free Phone Consultation. A member of our team will reach out to you and answer any questions you may have. If our practice or therapists happen to not be a good fit for your needs and goals, we’re happy to offer referrals to area providers.